It's beautiful chocolate cake all the time now

It's "beautiful chocolate cake" all the time now

by digby




Trump's bizarre bragging in his hundred days interviews is alarming. He is simply stating the sky is red and testing people to see if they will disagree with him. He's been saying non sequiturs from the beginning,of course, like these:


When asked about the rise of anti-Semitism during a February presser with Israeli PM: "Well, I just want to say that we are very honored by the victory we had. 306 Electoral College votes. We were not supposed to crack 220."

During a joint presser with Canadian PM Trudeau, he was asked about deporting Syrian refugees and said, "That's what I said I would do. I'm just doing what I said I would do, and we won by a very, very large electoral college vote."
 
In the middle of discussing Chinese President Xi Jinping with three Reuters reporters, Trump handed them three copies of the election map he had printed out that were sitting atop his desk in the Oval Office. "Here, you can take that, that's the final map of the numbers. It's pretty good, right? The red is obviously us." 



He gave a speech to the NRA yesterday, the first POTUS to do so since Raegan, and spent the first portion of it talking about his electoral college victory. He listed the states he won, touted his 306 (actually 304) EC votes. "Big sports fans said [the election] was the single most exciting event they're ever seen."

5 minutes into his speech at a Louisville rally in March, Trump called Nov. 8 "a beautiful day" adding "they weren't giving us a chance, saying, 'There is no way to 270.' ...And you remember for the Republicans, the Electoral College has been very, very hard to win."

Now, however, he's dropping strange brags into interviews that sound as if he's being translated from a foreign language:
PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: The relationship I have with China, it's been already acclaimed as being something very special, something very different than we've ever had. But again, you know, we'll find out whether or not President Xi is able to affect change.
How about this? Does it sound like a grown man fluent in English is speaking?

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Well, one of the things that I've learned is how dishonest the media is, really. I've done things that are I think very good. I've set great foundations with foreign leaders. We have you know -- NAFTA, as you know, I was going to terminate it, but I got a very nice call from a man I like, the president of Mexico.

I got a very nice call from Justin Trudeau, the prime minister of Canada. And they said please would you rather than terminating NAFTA -- I was all set to do it. In fact, I was going to do it today. I was going to do as we're sitting here. I would've had to delay you. I was going to do it today. I was going to terminate NAFTA. But they called up and they said, "Would you negotiate?" And I said, "Yes, I will

Set aside the fact that we know that's not what happened. He was persuaded by Wilbur Ross and Sonny Perdue rushing into the room with some colorful maps that showed he would be hurting some of his fans in red states by doing this. But even if this is what actually happened, what a weird childish way of telling the story.

I am more and more concerned that he's actually regressing. I think the stress might be getting to him and he's losing what's left of his mental capacity. His interviews are all over the place and he's making even less sense than he used to.

And yet .... the panelists on the programs this morning were very focused on not noticing that the Emperor has no clothes. They were all talking about his "flexibility and how he's "signaled his willingness to compromise" and how his base loves him so much he'll be in a powerful position to makes deals.

They persist in acting as if it is normal that the president speaks like a 4th grader and lives in a fantasy world. It. is. not. normal.

.