Nit Pickling The Times

In an otherwise good article about Kerry's speech in the NY Times Adam Nagourney edits one quote in a very bizarre fashion:

"In this campaign, we welcome people of faith: America is not us and them," he said. "I think of what Ron Reagan said of his father a few weeks ago, and I want to say this to you tonight: I don't wear my religion on my sleeve.

"But faith has given me values and hope to live by, from Vietnam to this day, from Sunday to Sunday,'' he said. "I don't want to claim that God is on our side.''


That's it. He leaves out the next line, "As Abraham Lincoln told us, I want to pray humbly that we are on God's side."

Without the follow-up, the line "I don't want to claim that God is on our side" sounds a little strange just hanging out there, don't you think?